Venues of Some Important sports events:
1) Summer Olympics
2016: Rio, Brazil
2020: Tokyo, Japan
2024: Paris, France
2028: Los Angeles, USA
2) Cricket World Cup
2015: Australia and New Zealand
2019: England and Wales
2021: New Zealand
3) FIFA Football World Cup
FIFA U-17 Football world cup 2017: India
4) Commonwealth games
2018: Gold Coast, Australia
2022: Birmingham, England
5) Hockey World Cup
2018 Men’s Hockey World Cup:
Kalinga Stadium, Bhubaneswar, India
2018 Women’s Hockey World Cup:
Important Geographical facts about India:
- India covers 2.4% of the Earth’s surface. Total land area of India is 32,87,263 sq.km.
- Kanchenjunga is the highest mountain peak of India.
- Deccan Plateau is the largest plateau of India and the Ladakh plateau is the highest plateau of India.
- Andaman is the largest island of India and Majuli is the largest river island of world located in Assam, India.
- India has only one dessert which is the Thar dessert. It is located in the state Rajasthan.
- The longest Indian River is Ganga; its length is 2,640 km.
- The world’s largest delta, (in West Bengal) Sundarban, is made by Brahmaputra and Ganga.
- Aravallis is the oldest mountain ranges of the India.
Agriculture in India: More than 50 percent of the area of the country is under the cultivation and about 64% of the Indian population is engaged in agriculture.
There are two major crop seasons in India, viz:
Rabi: It is sown in October or December and harvested in April or May. Major crops are: barely, wheat, peas, gram and mustard. Kharif: It is sown in June or July and harvested in September or October. Major crops are: bajra, cotton, jowar, rice and jute.
- Forests: India is covered about *24.1%* by forest area (as per Forest Survey Report 2015). Madhya Pradesh has the largest Forest cover in India among all other states.
- Gujarat has the longest coastline among all the states in India.
- Bangladesh shares maximum boundary with India.
- India is divided into 29 states, 6 union territories, 1 national capital territory.
- Rajasthan is the largest state of India followed by Madhya Pradesh, Maharashtra, UP.
- UP is the most populous state of India followed by Maharashtra, Bihar, and West Bengal.
Important dams and their locations:
- Indira Sagar Dam: Narmada River, Madhya Pradesh
- Mettur Dam: Cauvery River, Tamil Nadu.
- Koyna Dam: Koyna River, Maharashtra.
- Maithon Dam: barakar river, Jharkhand.
- Rihand Dam: Rihand Dam, Uttar Pradesh.
- TungaBhadra Dam: Tungabhadra River, Karnataka.
- Krishna Raja Sagar dam: Cauvery river, Karnataka
- Hirakund Dam: Mahanadi River, Odissa
World Geography Points:
1) Boundary lines:
- Durand line: Pakistan and Afghanistan
- Radcliffe line: India and Pakistan
- Macmohan line: china and India
- 38th parallel: North and South Korea
- 49th parallel: USA and Canada
- Hindenburg Line: Germany and Poland
- Maginot line: France and Germany
2) Atmosphere layers in that order from earth:
- Stratosphere: ozone layer in it!!
- Mesosphere or thermosphere
- Andes: South America
- Rockies: North America
- Alps: Europe
- Alaska: USA
- Himalaya: Asia
4) Water resources in Oceans:
5) Top 5 minerals in earth’s crust
6) Top 4 gases in atmosphere
Nitrogen> Oxygen>Argon> CO2
7) Light year, Astronomical unit and Parsec are the units to measure length.
8) Solar system
- Brightest star after sun: Sirius
- Planet with maximum satellites: Jupiter
- Red planet: Mars
- Blue planet: Earth
- Brightest planet: Venus
- Biggest planet: Jupiter
9) Some more information
- Atlantic Ocean between US and UK.
- Largest land locked country: Kazakhstan
- Africa has the most number of countries.
- The Nile has been determined to be the longest river in the world followed by the Amazon and the Yangtze.
- The South China Sea disputes involves namely Brunei, China, Taiwan, Malaysia, Indonesia, Philippines, and Vietnam.
- The Red Sea is a seawater inlet of the Indian Ocean, lying between Africa and Asia.
- Canada has the largest coastline among all the countries in the World.
18th Asian Games 2018:
- Held in Jakarta and Palembang, Indonesia.
- Motto was Energy of Asia Bhin Bhin, Kaka, and Atung: mascots of the 2018 Asian Games.
- 1st Asian Games were held in New Delhi in 1951.
- 19th Asian Games would be held in Hangzhou, China in 2022.
- India won Total 69 Medals in 2018 Asian games, finished at 8th position. Top 3 countries are: China, Japan and Republic of Korea.
- India won 15 Gold Medals, 24 Silvers and 30 bronze medals. This is India’s best ever overall medal tally.
- Kabaddi:- India failed to win gold in a sport they have dominated since it was introduced for the first time in the tournament in 1990. For the first time, India men’s team had not won the gold medal in Kabaddi at the Asian Games.
Some notable players:
- Neeraj Chopra (Javelin Throw)
- Bajrang Punia and Vinesh Phogat (Wrestling)
- PV Sindhu (Silver, Badminton)
- Pranab Bardhan and Shibhnath Sarkar(Bridge)
- Rahi Sarnobat (Shooting)
- Swapna Barman (Heptathlon)
- Jinson Johnson (1500m Race, Gold)
- Manjit Singh (800m Race, Gold)
- Amit Panghal (Boxing)
- Saurabh Chaudhary (Shooting)
- Tajinderpal Singh Toor (Shot Put)
- Dutee Chand, Hima das, Muhammad Anas (Sprinter)
Opening ceremony: Neeraj chopra
Closing ceremony: Rani Rampal (hockey)
21th FIFA World Cup 2018:
- Host : Russia
- Official Mascot : Zabivaka
- Official Song : ‘ Live It Up ‘ By Nicky Jam
- Campaign : ‘ Say No To Racism ‘
- Teams : 32 Teams
- Matches : 64 Matches Played, 169 Goals ( 2018 )
- Final – France 4 – 2 Croatia
- Winner: France (2nd Time, 1st 1998 ) 2nd : Croatia : Belgium 4th. : England
- Golden Boot Award : Harry Kane ( England , 6 Goals )
- Golden Ball Award : Luka Modric ( Croatia )
- Golden Glove Award : Thibaut Courtois ( Belgium , 27 Saves )
- FIFA Young Player Award : Kylian Mbappe ( France )
- FIFA Fair Play Award : Spain
- Top 3 Teams Goals Belgium (7 Matches, 16 Goals) 2. France. (7 Matches, 14 Goals) 3. Croatia (7 Matches, 14 Goals)
Grand Slams Winner 2018:
- Men’s Singles
|U.S. Open||Novak Djokovic||Juan Martin del Potro|
|Wimbledon||Novak Djokovic||Kevin Anderson|
|French Open||Rafael Nadal||Dominic Thiem|
|Australian Open||Roger Federer||Marin Cilic|
- Women’s Singles
|U.S. Open||Naomi Osaka||Serena Williams|
|Wimbledon||Angelique Kerber||Serena Williams|
|French Open||Simona Halep||Sloane Stephens|
|Australian Open||Caroline Wozniacki||Simona Halep|
Top banks in India:
- SBI: Rajnish Kumar
- ICICI: Sandeep Bakhshi
- HDFC: Aditya Puri
- Punjab National Bank: Sunil Mehta
- Axis bank: Shikha Sharma
- Bank of Baroda: P.S. Jayakumar
- Flipkart: Kalyan Krishnamurthy
- Snapdeal: Kunal bahl
- Paytm: Vijay Shekhar Sharma
- Ola: Bhavish Aggarwal
- Oyo rooms: Ritesh Aggarwal
- Alibaba: Jack Ma
- Amazon: Jeff Bezos
- Uber: Dara Khosrowshahi
Some other important CEOs/Chairman:
- Amul: R.S. Sodhi
- Tata group: Natarajan Chandrasekaran
- Birla group: Mr. Kumar Mangalam Birla
- Reliance industries: Mukesh Ambani
- ITC Ltd: Yogesh Chander Deveshwar
- Wipro: Azim Premji [chairman] Abidali Neemuchwala [CEO]
- Infosys : Salil Parekh (CEO & MD)
Some foreign CEOs:
- Apple: Tim cook
- Google: Sunder Pichai
- Microsoft: Satya Nadella
- PepsiCo: Ramon Laguarta
- Facebook: Mark Zuckerberg
- Walmart: C. Douglas McMillan
- LinkedIn : Jeff Weiner
- Yahoo : Marissa Mayer
- Twitter : jack Dorsey
Top global companies CEOs from India:
- Satya Nadella – CEO, Microsoft
- Sundar Pichai- CEO, Google
- Ajaypal Singh Banga- President and CEO, MasterCard.
- Rajeev Suri- CEO, Nokia.
- Indra K Nooyi- CEO, PepsiCo (She is retiring, New CEO: Ramon Laguarta)
- Lakshmi Mittal- chairman and CEO, Arcelor Mittal, the world’s largest steelmaking company.
- Rakesh Kapoor- CEO, Reckitt Benckiser plc, It is a multinational consumer goods company, a major producer of health, hygiene and home products.
- Rajeev Vasudeva- CEO, Egon Zehnder Egon Zehnder is a global executive search firm.
- Dhivya Suryadevara- 1st female CFO of General motors.
- Francisco D’souza: President and CEO, Cognizant
- Shantanu Narayen: CEO, Adobe
Films and television in India:
- Doordarshan was founded in year- 1959
- Film and Television institute of India is located in Pune and established in 1960
- First Indian movie submitted for Oscar- Mother India
- First Indian to win Oscar – Bhanu Athaiya She got the coveted award for costume design for the Richard Attenborough directed film Gandhi.
- 1st in Films 1st Indian film- Raja Harishchandra 1st Indian sound film- Alam Ara 1st Indian color film- Kishan Kanha 1st 3D animated film- Roadside Romeo
- 1st actor to win film fare award- Dilip Kumar
- Awards starting year:- Filmfare awards started in 1954 National film awards started in 1954
- Satyajit Ray- won 32 national film awards in his life, he won Oscar in 1992
- Father of Indian cinema- Dadasaheb phalke
- Chairman of censor Board: Prasoon Joshi Chairman of film and television institute of India, Pune (FTII): anupam kher
- Recent official entry to Oscars India’s official entry to Oscars 2018: Newton India’s official entry to Oscars 2019: Village Rockstars
- 63rd Filmfare Awards 2018 Best film: Hindi Medium Best Actor: Irrfan Khan for Hindi Medium Best actress: Vidhya Balan for Tumari Sulu Best director: Ashwiny Iyer Tiwari for Bareilly ki barfi Critics award for best film: Newton Best supporting actor: Rajkummar Rao
- DadaSaheb Phalke Award The first recipient of the award was actress Devika Rani. Vinod Khanna wins Dadasaheb Phalke Award for 2017
- Academy awards (Oscars) 2018 A. Best Picture: The Shape of Water B. Best Director: Guillermo Del Toro, The Shape of Water C. Best Actress: Frances McDormand, Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri D. Best Actor: Gary Oldman, Darkest Hour E. Best Animated Feature Film: Coco F. Best Foreign Language Film: A Fantastic Woman, Chile
List of important regulators in India:
- Money market: RBI
- Foreign exchange: RBI
- Capital market: SEBI
- Insurance companies: IRDAI
- Chit funds: respective state governments
- Cooperative banks and regional rural banks: NABARD
- Pension fund: PFRDA (Pension fund regulatory and development authority)
- Telecommunications: TRAI [Telecom regulatory authority of India]